Thursday, September 23, 2010

Insurance Rates Gone Crazy

Earlier this summer I opened our automobile insurance renewal notice, and was a bit surprised that our rate for two vehicles had climbed from $2400 to $3600 annually. More interesting was that my portion for the Freestar van had almost doubled from $1100 to $2100, and Katherine's portion for the Echo had increased from $1300 to $1500 (all figures rounded somwhat). Seems there were no changes in our rating (claims, experience, tickets, etc) so no real justification for the increase, I was simply told that those are the numbers coming back from Aviva (our insurance provider). I was informed that my three minor convictions (speeding) were probably a factor in my new rate, but how does that explain my previous rate of $1050, as these tickets are now over 2 years old, and were on my rating the previous year!

In any event, shopping around was interesting, as I found annual premiums between $1900 and $3300 from four companies, and selected Meloche Monnex/TD, at an annual cost of $2200 ($1050 for me and the van, and $1150 for K and the Echo) for the same coverage as we had with Aviva! Now I just have to wait for the $900 refund payment from Aviva, as they have been busy processing payments on a cancelled policy!

No comments: